Monday, September 7, 2009

Once Upon a Time in America


Once Upon a Time in America
(The Little School House is where I learned to read)


My first day in school was a memorable day. I attended elementary school in the late 60’s and early 70’s and I couldn’t speak a word of English. I was a spoiled, bratty child and I lived with Abuelita until I was six, and you all know how doting Latino grandparents can be. My Abuelita was no exception. Hell, I didn’t know I had parents, I thought Abuelita was my “parent”. I had no concept of a traditional family. My family consisted of my grandmother and Uncle Enrique.
I remember the white school house set in the middle of alfalfa fields in the North side of Imperial County. This was migrant-worker territory. There were two classes: the haves, and the have-nots.
In the 60’s, there was no such thing as English as a Second Language. You learned to speak English or you were out of luck or stuck in a closet.
In that small room, with first and second graders, I behaved like a monkey in the jungle. I ran in and out of desks, closets, and over anything in my way. I kicked the stupid boys and made the girls cry when I pulled their hair. The teacher yelled something and I had no idea what she said. Her voice grew shrill, still, I had no idea what the woman wanted. I continued my play with my new friends. The classroom was MY jungle!
Mrs. Jorgensen grabbed my long, black hair and pulled me towards a desk! Whoa! I had never been treated so abruptly. My mouth trembled as a tear escaped my eye. She yelled, and yelled some more as I sat crying as she raised her voice with words with no meaning!
From that moment on, I figured when the teacher’s voice grew loud I should pay attention to her hand signals and stop whatever shenanigans I was up to and sit down.
How I won this woman’s heart is still a mystery to me. This dear woman grew to love me and would spend every recess holding a Jack-and-Jill primer for me as my little index finger followed the words along the page. Within a year I spoke and read fluent English! Abuelita was so proud of me!
It was in this small classroom, with a white-steeple, where I became addicted to reading. I could not get enough! I won the school library readers’ contest. I read on the school bus ride home. I read at the dinner table. I read in bed and used a flashlight when the lights were turned off.
One person can make a difference in a child’s life. Mrs. Jorgensen was a true professional and gave me a world of mystery, drama, and comedy.
I weeded cotton fields as a little girl, but because someone loved to teach, I did not grow up to be a migrant worker and now sit in an air-conditioned office consulting and educating physicians.

Hermelinda Saine Ramsay
September 30, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Melinda is a creative, nurturing woman; a self-starter and promoter of things that are good in the world. She who loves to surround herself with the things she loves from people to the smallest of things. She also collects artwork throughout her travels. She has a burgeoning Native American artifact collection; especially that of Southwest Indians, and most prominently that of Navajo and Hopi Indians. She is a student of Shamanic consciousness, and believes that all are connected through a collective experience. She is an intuitive, Reiki Master, Hypnotherapist, and holds a Masters in Business Administration. Melinda photographs extensively throughout her travels. Her photography is on sold on Redbuubble.com. She is a compliance auditor, and owns a small business to promote artists (Melinda’s Agency-http://melindaramsayspeakers-events.com). Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally. ~David Frost

Followers